My Captured Moment #27 – Homemade Play Dough

playdough

Our little girl is completely obsessed with play-doh. She gets the tubs out pretty much daily. Play-doh is lovely – but only for a certain amount of time. I find that when used often, it dries out very quickly and becomes unusable. Over the last few weeks I’ve been scouring the internet for recipes to make our own play dough. I’ve tried quite a few, but nothing really worked. The dough was either too liquid or way too solid. Until I came across the PERFECT one. I found this recipe on the WhatsUpMoms You Tube channel.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup of flour
  • ¼ cup of salt
  • 2 packets of Cream of Tartar
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1 tbsp of oil
  • food colouring
  • zip seal freezer bags for storage

Method:

• Mix all of the dry ingredients together
  • Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat
  • Add the dry ingredients
  • Add the water
  • Mix everything together until the dough has thickened
  • transfer the dough to a baking sheet or tin foil
  • when slightly cool, add the food colouring

We made our play dough over two weeks ago and although our little one has been playing with it almost daily it is still soft and squishy. She loves to entertain all her dollies and stuffed animals with play dough disco (yes, I had to google what that was too). Apparently this is something she plays together with her friends a lot at nursery and it gives her endless hours of fun.

Running in Lavender

1. February 18, 2016 / 11:13 am

Brilliant and what fun! My little Lottie is also obsessed with play-doh and making and creating 🙂 This looks fab thanks for sharing. Jess xx

#mycapturedmoment

February 18, 2016 / 3:08 pm

It’s such a brilliant recipe. We’ve only made two colours before, but planning to more this evening :-).

2. February 18, 2016 / 11:36 am

My girls love playdoh too they could play with it for hours, I have never made it though I will have to give it a try. X

February 18, 2016 / 3:07 pm

It’s really easy and your kids can help making the dough :-). Our little one loved stirring the mixture and choosing the colours for the dough.

3. February 18, 2016 / 5:06 pm

Lovely sensory play as well as building those fine motor skills. We keep some in our room at school as it’s very calming. I’m going to nab the recipe to share with 1:1 staff 🙂

Great photos Heidi.
    x

February 18, 2016 / 5:13 pm

Thanks :-). It really is such an easy and quick recipe! I love it! xx

4. February 19, 2016 / 2:53 pm

Oh I this takes me back, I used to love doing this with both my girls. They were both obsessed too! Lovely pictures and I am going to pass the recipe onto my 20 year old, so she can do it with her Rainbows. Have a lovely weekend xx

February 22, 2016 / 10:57 am

Thanks Lisa. Hope you had a lovely weekend too. We went for a lovely muddy walk :-).

5. February 19, 2016 / 4:56 pm

Hi Heidi, how much cheaper it must be to make your own too and your little girl must enjoy helping to make it. Play-Doh is so much better than Plasticine, I’m sure we still have Plasticine well and truly trodden into some of our rugs and my youngest is 16!

xx

February 22, 2016 / 2:23 pm

It really is so much cheaper in the long run to make our own (plus it is tonnes more fun :-)).

6. February 20, 2016 / 9:51 am

Ah what fun!! I’ve been wanting to make home-made play dough for years but have never actually done it with the girls. They both LOVE play-doh, so I really should do this. Great shots of a beautiful ordinary moment. Thank you so much for linking up to #mycapturedmoment xx

February 22, 2016 / 2:35 pm

It really is so much fun and also incredibly easy.

7. February 20, 2016 / 1:03 pm

Heidi this is such a great idea, and so much fun for kiddies. I used to be obsessed with buying playdoh when the boys were little they literally had every colour imaginable, ever glittery ha ha x

February 22, 2016 / 2:36 pm

I will try and add glitter to the next batch of play dough. I hope our carpet will be forgiving :-).

February 22, 2016 / 2:37 pm

Thank you :-). She is obsessed with her teddies and dollies at the moment.